Summit ElderCare facts and milestones
Summit ElderCare®, founded by Fallon Health in 1995, is an innovative approach to providing care to the frail and the elderly while allowing them to remain at home.
The Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) model is centered around the belief that it is better for the well-being of seniors with chronic care needs and their caregivers to be served in the community whenever possible. The Summit ElderCare program is based on this model, started in the 1970s by a small community in San Francisco looking for a better way to care for their elders. Years later, their grassroots efforts were recognized by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Summit ElderCare is the only program of its kind in Central Massachusetts.
Summit ElderCare preserves and supports the elderly adult’s family as an integral part of its mission. The collaborative expertise of many different professionals working together as members of the interdisciplinary team along with the caregivers is a key feature of the PACE program. Each of Summit ElderCare’s personal care providers specialize in geriatric care.
Program benefits include:
- Medically necessary prescription drug coverage
- 24-hour telephone access to a member of the participant’s team
- In-home assistance with personal care needs, such as bathing and dressing
- Physical, occupational, recreational and other therapies
Visit the Summit ElderCare website
Summit ElderCare milestones
- Fallon Health establishes Elder Service Plan, the region’s first comprehensive health care program for the elderly in Worcester, Mass.
- Elder Service Plan enrolls its 100th participant.
- ESP receives “Best Practice” recognition for Alzheimer’s care from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Service.
- Elder Service Plan officially changes its name to Summit ElderCare.
- Summit ElderCare opens a new facility in Charlton, Mass.
- Summit ElderCare enrolls its 300th participant.
- Summit ElderCare wins the “Health Care Hero” award from the Worcester Business Journal.
- Summit ElderCare announces the opening of its third facility in Leominster, Mass.
- Summit ElderCare expands with an additional location in Charlton and opens a second facility in Worcester.
- Summit ElderCare surpasses 500 participants.
- Summit ElderCare reaches 681 participants throughout four locations.
- Summit ElderCare opens a fifth site in Springfield, Mass.
- Summit ElderCare opens a sixth site in Lowell, Mass.