Staying healthy while traveling
Posted on March 18, 2015
It can be very difficult to stay with your exercise routine and eat nutritious foods while you’re traveling. Whether it’s for business or pleasure, traveling can interrupt your healthy routine and throw you off. There are ways, however, to stay on track.
With proper planning, you can stay active and avoid unhealthy food while you’re away—and have fun, too!
Tips for traveling
- Research local restaurants and attractions within walking distance of where you’re staying.
- Pack your walking shoes and fast-drying exercise clothes! No excuses when you find the hotel has a gym or there are some great trails nearby.
- If you’re driving, take breaks to walk and stretch for 15 minutes every couple of hours.
- If you’re flying, there aren’t a lot of healthy food choices in airports. Seek out fruits, nuts and water, and take advantage of long terminals for walking while you wait.
- Eat plenty of fiber and protein, and avoid refined carbohydrates so you won’t get hungry between meals.
- Remember to drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration, especially when drinking alcohol.
More tips are available in this downloadable PDF of healthy traveling information.
Sick on the road?
Fallon provides you with coverage for worldwide emergency care. Wherever you are, if you get sick or hurt and need to go to the emergency room, you have coverage. Ambulance services are included, too.
For the kids
Do you have a child away at school and out of our service area? Fallon will cover him or her for emergencies. Your child is also covered for certain other preauthorized services, such as non-routine medical office visits and X-rays.
More resources for Fallon members
Visit The Well to learn more about our health and wellness programs.
The information written about in this blog is not intended to be medical advice. Please seek care from a medical professional when you have a health concern.